Whether for a technical report or a novel, good writing, careful editing, and polished layout make the cornerstone of your communications.
Writing and editing work can take many forms, and we can help you regardless of where you are in your project: conducting interviews and doing research, writing a first draft, editing in response to your feedback, then bringing your project to its final form. Or we can take your notes or your draft and take it from there. We also work with self-publishers, providing full book-production services.
Whether starting from your outline or draft, or conducting interviews and doing research, we can write your next case study, solution brief, sales guide, or other marketing document. We can also write user manuals, procedure documents, installation guides, white papers, web copy, and more. Start from your notes or starting from scratch, if you can you name it, we can probably write it.
We primarily use MS Word, Google Docs, or LibreOffice for writing projects. We can also use LaTex, asciiDoc, or another tool if you prefer.
Good editing is a big part of what separates good docs from the bad. We take your existing material and edit it for crispness and clarity, from mere grammar fixes all the way to complete rewrites.
Standard editing involves checking grammar, flow, and branding. Technical editing goes further to include such things as verifying code syntax, checking for consistent terminology, and general usability in manuals and specifications. Then there is what I like to call “extreme editing,” which is editing that is so extensive that it is basically a rewrite, such as in documents written in another language and then poorly translated into English. [Details about the different types of editing that we offer.]
Layout: The finishing touch
Even with the best writing and editing in the world, you must present your work in a way that people will want to read. We can take your document and turn it into a finished masterpiece with indexing, hyperlinking, cover, and full layout services.
Quality layout puts the finishing touches on your document. Bring us your document and we will lay it out into a professional brochure, manual, or book.
- We have 20+ years of layout experience and know how to use the proper styling and tagging techniques that enable document automation, eBook rendering, and more.
- We can start with your work in almost any file format, and can even scan your hard copy document if an electronic version does not exist.
- We can use your illustrations or photographs, or create or source them for you.
- We can use your templates and guidelines, or create a new collateral design for you.
- We can add the index, links, and automation you need for an interactive document without extensive post-processing.
- We can deliver final files for web or print, and help you get them printed.
- We work with professional layout software and provide you with the final production files.
We typically use InDesign or Affinity Publisher for layout projects, although we can also use MS Word, or HTML/XML/CSS with Docbook or other schemas. If you need work done in other tools, let us know. We do not work in MadCap Flare, but we can refer you to a leading expert who can help you.
We invite you to look at samples of our work by clicking a thumbnail below to open a PDF. The letters beneath the thumbnail tell you whether we were involved with the Writing, Editing, or Layout on that project:
More layout and design examples
In addition to the technical, marketing, and business documents above, we have also worked on a wide variety of other marketing communication projects, such as the following: